Dying eggs with natural dyes is a fun thing to do this Easter/school holidays.What you need from the garden:
- Beetroot X 2
- Half a purple cabbage
- Foliage and flowers
- Have chooks? A dozen eggs
From the pantry:
- A dozen eggs
- Rubber bands
From the bottom of the cupboard…
- Old panty hose
- Press the foliage (I found fern leaves and cosmos foliage worked best) and flowers on to the eggs + wrap very tightly with panty hose and tie with rubber band.
- Chop the beetroot up into 8ths and bring to the boil. Simmer the eggs in the beetroot dye for 20min and then turn off and leave overnight to soak.
- Chop the purple cabbage into large chunks, and bring to boil. Simmer the eggs for 20mins and then leave overnight.
- The next morning drain and then carefully cut the panty hose off, then peel the foliage and flowers off the egg and leave to dry.